Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hummus with Chickpea Flour (besan)

As a huge fan of hummus, I've tried probably a dozen times to make a good, smooth batch at home. Maybe it's my food processor's fault, but my attempts are always grainy and speckled with chunks of canned chickpeas.

With this dilemma, paired with my distaste for using anything from a tin can, I experimented with hummus made from chickpea flour (besan). Results: delicious, smooth, and creamy.



Besan Hummus
Recipe adapted from this one

2 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup chickpea flour (Garbanzo)
2-5 garlic cloves, to taste
1/2 tsp salt
1 lemon, juice of
1/4 cup tahini
2 TBS olive oil
1/4 tsp cumin, ground*
1/4 tsp cayenne*
*optional


1. Gradually add the water to the chickpea flour in a cold saucepan, whisking until mixed as well as you can (there may be some lumps). It will seem runny and peculiar--that's okay!


2. Bring the flour and water mixture up to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally. You'll notice that it begins to thicken.

3. After 10 or 15 minutes, you should reach a thick pudding consistency. Turn off the heat, let the mixture come to room temperature. Continue to stir ocassionally.

4. Once cooled, add besan mixture to your food processor. Add all other remaining ingredients. Blend well, until you are pleased with the consistency. It may still seem a bit runny, but will continue to get thicker.
5. Transfer to a storage container and allow to cool in the refrigerator for about an hour to fully set and thicken. Serve as you please, with your favorite dippers or sandwich. I prefer to top my with olive oil and sumac, and use pitas to dip. Happy eating!


A few notes about finding ingredients:

Chickpea flour/besan is easily found in any Middle Eastern or Indian grocery, for CHEAP. I purchased my 4lb bag from Sanabel for just $4.00. It seems versatile, and I look forward to using the healthy flour for many new recipes. Buy your tahini and olive oil there, while you're at it.

Middle Eastern groceries--typically family owned-- are a wonderful resource, when on a budget or feeling adventurous. Load up on spices and nuts! While at Sanabel, I also found a 12oz bag of natural, raw almonds for $3.50. That feels a little like stealing, frankly, as I'm familiar with paying twice as much for half as many at grocery and health food stores.



At the Middle Eastern Bakery and Grocery, we purchased these six spices and sauces, two large bags of fresh baked pitas, 1/2 pound of fresh feta, and six fresh baked spinach pies (entree sized) for $35.00. I'm not sure you could buy just the chia seeds and fresh block of feta for $35.00 at Whole Foods.



  • I can't wait to go back and get some baklava.



    (PS I am trying to clean up the look of my blog. I don't get along with Photoshop very well, so my banner has been a challenge...be patient with its appearance!)

    2 comments:

    1. YUM Hummus, feta, and spinach pie OH MY!

      ReplyDelete
    2. PS MS paint forever! Or there's always it's slightly more sophisticated cousin Picnik. :)

      ReplyDelete

    Pages