Thursday, August 4, 2011

Farmer's Market Potato Salad

 Our move to the Big City has made farmer's markets available to us at least once a day. I try to make it to at least two a week, and about 90% of our produce comes from these local, organic farmers.

Sometimes, we go a little overboard and our fridge rivals those days of my CSA, when I would look in the fridge crisper and have a tiny panic attack. When they pile up, they start to look like delicious ticking time bombs, threatening to rot before you can do anything with them.

Last week we stocked up on the good stuff due to an impending visit from friends. Potatoes, cucumbers for pickles, dill, kohlrabi, radishes, carrots, onions, more cucumber, etc etc. Our visiting friends had other plans, though, and not only did we eat out every meal, but they brought us their week's CSA bounty as well. GAH! Amazing and terrifying.


First we made this delectable "kohl-slaw" (so good on BBQ sandwiches!), and then made a refreshing, crispy  dilled potato salad. A classic but hearty side-dish, perfectly Midwest Summer. This recipe made enough to feed three hungry people or four semi-hungry people. Simply mix all of this good stuff up:

6-7 Yukon gold potatoes, cut to bite-sized, boiled and let cool.
3 medium-sized radishes, diced or matchstick-ed
1/2 medium kohlrabi, diced or matchstick-ed
1/2 small onion, red or white, diced
1/4 cup dill or sweet pickled, chopped (we used homemade and it was so worthy)
1/4 cup dill, chopped
1/8 cup mayo*
1/8 cup yellow mustard (I assume it'd be yummy with just about any mustard on hand)*
3 good splashes of red wine vinegar*
salt and pepper*

*I recommend doing these more "to taste" than following these exact measurements. I wish I'd used less mayo more mustard*

What I Wore While Eating It
note second photo from left, where my boo was infringing on my "No Jakes Allowed" rule in the craft room
Top: Thrifted turtleneck, reconstructed by me, $1.00
Shorts: Old unflattering jeans cut off, FREE
Headband: Recycled t-shirt fabric braided by myself, FREE
Shoes: White slip-ons from the discount store across the street, $3.50
Approximate Total: $4.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages